Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Weathering the weather

Let me just note that I'm loving the weather we are having lately. Quite a bit chilly and without the excessive humidity. Kinda like not being in the Philippines at all. Or maybe this is how the weather is like in the northern provinces and other places in the country with high altitude. But there's a catch with having this kind of weather in the lowlands -- the food crops get "confused" and the whole harvest cycle gets messed up. So as much as I like this weather, I'd rather have food on my table than a perfect weather. I'll just enjoy it as much as I can before everything gets back to normal, I hope.

Now on a more serious note, I have been weathering something out of the normal in my family life as well. My sister needs to undergo a cataract operation and being the bread winner, securing the funds was my utmost responsibility. I didn't expect it to be such a huge amount and though I have some money set aside (which I was saving for my condo annual payment on April, which I'll worry about later), it was still not enough. Good thing my aunt was able and willing to pitch in. We pooled together the money and had our sister admitted to the hospital last Thursday because her operation was scheduled for Friday. Alas, on Friday, the anesthesiologist (my sister had to be administered general anesthesia because both eyes were to be operated on, plus there are other complication like my sister having diabetes and a mental disability) refused to go on with the operation because my sister's chart revealed her having palpitations. The doctor said her thyroid needed to be checked first. So instead of having the operation, my sister just had her blood taken for the thyroid test (T3, T4, TSH, if I'm not mistaken). Then they went home so as to avoid confinement costs while waiting for the results. And now they're back at the hospital to find out the results and if her endocrinologist clears her then she could be admitted again to have the operation tomorrow. If not then I don't know what comes next.

So we're all just waiting. Them waiting for the results and me waiting for my mother to call and ask for money. Honestly, I don't know where to get more money in case it's needed. But somehow, this experience is showing me what being helpless can bring. It can bring all other help to pour in unexpectedly. Of course there's the fear that no one will be able to help. But at the same time, there's the faith that we'll be able to work something out. One way or the other.

No comments: