Tuesday, July 3, 2007

On domain name registration and blog migration

Migrating this blog is taking longer than expected. So I've installed Xpress on Xoops but when I tried the Import tool, I got an error stating: "Your web server is not properly configured to use this importer. Please enable the CURL extension for PHP and then reload this page." Googling for the solution revealed that the file to be modified is php.ini, which I don't have access to. So I emailed my webhost support and requested for the enabling of the CURL extension in php.ini. I got a reply yesterday saying that they have already enabled it so I tried the Import tool again but the same message appeared. Not to lose hope, I installed the stand-alone Wordpress and tried the Import tool. I got past the CURL extension error but when I granted access for Wordpress to connect to my Google account, I got this: "Could not connect to https://www.google.com
There was a problem opening a secure connection to Google. This is what went wrong:
Success (0)" Based on one of the comments in this post, it seems that I would have to make another request to my webhost to recompile php with openssl support.

So that's for the blog migration. As for the domain name registration part of this post, I bought several domains for the sites I want to put up (including www.chococherrycoco.com) from Namecheap. I even indicated my webhost's domain nameservers (DNS) during the registration process and waited for 48hrs for my domains to propagate on the DNS. After two days, I tried adding the domains to my account but I couldn't do it. So I emailed my webhost again and their reply was that my plan only allows for one domain. I didn't know this was so, so I checked their website again to look at the subscription plan details and sure enough, it was stated there that the plan I got allows only one domain. I was left with two choices, get individual Standard hosting for each of my domains, or upgrade to Starter Reseller (with nulimited domains). I opted for the Reseller plan since we intend to put up more sites so getting this would come out cheaper in the long run.

Anyone interested in a webhosting service?

No comments: