Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Dreaming of Europe

My Kongregate check arrived last week and I was already able to deposit it to my Landbank Dollar Savings Account. It nearly got rejected by Landbank because they said they don't accept personal foreign checks. I said that before opening my account, I specifically asked if I can deposit foreign checks and they said that I could so they have to honor that. So they accepted the check and said that there would be a 45-day clearing period after the originating bank of the check (Wells Fargo) responds to them. If the originating bank does not cash the check (bogus account, no funds, etc), I will be charged $10; otherwise, I will just be charged $1 processing fee. So assuming I am able to cash the check, I would have $174 in my account by next month. Minimum amount to earn interest is $500 so unless I add to my savings, my money will just be sitting there. I don't want to close my account just yet so I decided I will just keep adding to my account whenever I have the money. Then I thought of a brilliant idea. Why not use this account to save up for that European tour I've been dreaming of?

This dream falls under item 8 of my bucket list. I plan to take this trip with my friend Gezelle because it is also one of her dreams (My bf can come too if he wants to). We've talked about the places where we will go but we haven't really set a date when we will do it, until a few weeks ago when I was feeling down and thinking sad thoughts while on my way home. I remember how I felt that particular moment -- I felt that my life was going nowhere and that nothing good is happening. I'm gainfully employed and my salary was above average yet I couldn't buy or do the things I wanted because of the bills I have to pay and my family obligations. Then I thought, if there was just one thing I could do for myself, it would be to have that European tour. Then I won't care if I don't get to leave home and live independently, or if I don't get married and have children, or if I work all my days as an employee and never get to put up a business of my own. Just as long as I get to travel to Europe, then I'll be ok. So I texted Gezelle and told her that if we're still single by age 35 then we should pack our bags and travel to Europe. She agreed and even said we should take the trip sooner (she has her own agenda) so we set it at age 32. Now she's 29 and I'm turning 29 this November, so that gives us only 3 years to prepare financially. Just in case we don't get rich in 3 years, it's nice to have some savings so we can finally realize our dream.

So this is where my dollar savings account come in. (She is also going to open a dollar savings account of her own so she can start saving.) I guess I should do this proactively and save before I spend instead of doing it the other way around (spend then save what's left). But how can I do that if I still have to make the payments for my mother's healthcard, my life insurance and my car's insurance all before the year ends? Oh well, I'm sure I'll be able to figure out a way. You know what they say, if there's a will there's a way. And I have the will all right. Europe, here I come :)

No comments: